Friday, February 22, 2008

hypersonicsound

So I was thinking about Nia's dillema with the sound component in her installation. And then I thought, what about directed sound? Last year I had read an article on this very thing, I think it may have been in Wired. The basic technology allows the audio to be focused in a specific spot, and if someone stands there, they can hear it, but the person 2 feet away cannot. But here are some sights dealing with it.it also goes by the name of Hypersonic sound

Audio spotlights


And A company that sells this product.

American Technology Corporation

The thing that is kinda scary about this product is the military and the advertisers are totally embracing it in a big way.

2 comments:

Nia said...

hey, thanks for that link. i had talked about those in my post, i dont think VCU has any.....do they?

i mean, i guess i could just stop being cheap and buy my own lol.

belinda said...

Yeah. I know you had sorta talked about it, i just really excited about this technology. It has so much potential for sound art, but also so much potential evil inherent in the technological design. I really want to see these.
Kinda reminds me of the whole conception of the military industrial complex, which was never supposed to be what it is.